Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What I Learned About Myself

Quick Language Note: In this blog post, you will see the Chinese character:
This is pronounced yuan. 元 is a symbol for Chinese currency. In spoken language, the word for Chinese currency is pronounced kuai.

I am a fast learner! I have been told that many times before, but never really believed it until I got to China and had to maneuver around traffic pretty quickly. There are lots and lots of cars, motorcyclists, bicyclists, buses and pedestrians in the streets. I have also learned how to bargain. A member of the study abroad group, Gloria (my mom’s namesake), explained to me how bargaining is done. The idea is that you always want to ask for a lower price than what is originally presented to you. If the seller tells you that one shirt costs 40, you would ask him or her if you could buy it for a lower price, and if you’re still not happy with that lower price, ask for a lower one. For me, it was a way to put my Mandarin speaking skills to the test. After Gloria showed me how it was done, I couldn’t wait to try it out on my own. When I did, I was able to communicate with the seller and understand what she was saying to me. What an experience! Bargaining is a lot of fun! Although I have only been here for a few days, I already see how going to another country and taking everything in allows me to discover qualities about myself I never knew I had or even believed I had.


“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
 -Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment