Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My First Day- Taking It All In :)

Quick Language Note: 筷子 (Kuazi), is the Mandarin word for Chopsticks. In my blogs, I will start to refer to some things in Mandarin, but will always include a language note at the top for reference. This is just a way for me to practice my speaking skills, so that I can improve each day.


Wow! I’m finally in China! I arrived here on August 26th around 3pm China’s time. It took twelve and a half hours to get here. I was surprised to see how quickly I adapted to the time difference. I experienced no jet lag. Interesting, huh? Life is very different here, much simpler compared to an average American way of living. Don’t get me wrong. It’s hustle and bustle every day here in Beijing, traffic is a mess, but people live with what they have here, and I find that to be great. I’m studying at Tsinghua University located in Beijing, China’s capital. I was told about 30,000 students attend this university! Now that’s a lot! It’s necessary to rent or buy a bike here to get around campus, because the university is so big. During my first day here there was a lot to take in, and I soaked up every sight, sound and smell that I encountered. The busy streets filled with cars and bicyclists, the American music played in restaurants and stores off campus, and the smell of street food all captured my attention. When I checked into Tsinghua’s Foreign Student Dormitory, I was given the Chinese name, 爱丽, pronounced Bai ai li, with Bai being my surname and Ai Li being my first name. It's nice to finally have a Chinese name. Later that evening my group and I had a Chinese style welcome dinner at a dining hall here on campus. We drank tea and water, and ate our food using 筷子(see quick language note at top for meaning). After a visit to Wudaokao 五道口, a popular street hangout here in Beijing, it was time to head back to the dorm, wind down, and get ready for the following day.



Traditional Chinese building at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China
Wudaokou 五道口- Popular street in Northwest Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment