Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I love learning Chinese! 我爱学汉语!

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."-Colin Powell

Quick Language Note: 我爱学汉语 means I love learning the Chinese language ;)



A lot of times, all it takes is effort and a true desire to learn in order to reach your goal. While in China, I am determined to really improve my Chinese listening and speaking skills. At a hotel one night in Lijiang ( a city in Yunnan province), I decided to put my speaking skills and even listening skills to the test. I was having trouble making international phone calls using my cell phone and needed to find the director of the program so that she could help me. I couldn't remember where the lobby of the hotel was (it wasn't like your normal American style hotel), so I pulled out my handy dandy-dictionary, and asked for directions (I carry the dictionary with me everywhere)! Unfortunately, the Chinese word for lobby was not in the dictionary I carried with me, but I found a sign that said lobby and showed the man where I wanted to go. He gave me directions and I understood him perfectly. I went to the reception desk and informed the two people behind the desk of my problem and for whom I was looking.  They asked me some questions, and I asked them if they could speak slower. When they did, I understood them perfectly.

What I am trying to tell all of you, no matter how old or young, is to never be afraid to take a risk. Do NOT let fear hold you back, for there is a whole world of opportunity out there just waiting for us to grab ahold of it. Don't ever tell yourself you can't do something, but instead just go for whatever it is you want.

When my roommate would be afraid to speak English to other American people I would always tell her to not be afraid. I would say, "If you make a mistake, that's okay. You will learn from it and get better." Now, when I find myself becoming a little fearful at times about speaking Chinese to other people, I stop myself from feeling that fear, and remember what I would always tell my roommate. Just go for it. If I make a mistake, it's okay.

Just remember, it takes effort, true desire and  practice to get to where you want to be. I can already tell all of my hard work is paying off!!! 我爱学汉语!

2 comments:

  1. I love your post! It is very inspirational since I am going to live in Taiwan for a year soon, I hope you have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I appreciate your comment :)

    ReplyDelete